My Photo
Name:Anju
Location:Purdue, University, United States

I have a need for coffee with my oxygen.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

From "Trivial Matters"

1. Volume of Books(owned) and Music(stolen)?
Volume of books owned… that’s a tough one, I either do the library or I buy the ones I really want to read. If they go on the “really want to read” list and afterwards on the “really want to keep” list then I have them still. If they get put on the “Not as good as I thought” list, then I usually sell them so that someone else can maybe enjoy them more. So in my time I have owned or possessed thousands of books, but today I only own maybe 40 or so.

Music stolen… Well, funny story with that too… I had 8,000 stolen songs and a virus and then I had a new hard drive. After the new hard drive I had 1,000 songs, then a virus, saved the hard drive, saved my 999 songs, reformatted the hard drive, vowed to never download again. So I have 999 songs, but about 9,000 over years.

2. Last book/Cd I bought ?
The last book I bought was “The Body Farm” by Patricia Cornwell. It wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read, but it wasn’t bad either. It will probably get sold, but right now it is being borrowed by someone so I can’t sell it.

The last CD I bought was Nora Jones, but that was for someone else, but then that person bought me Madeleine Peyroux recently, so I would say my most recent CD is Madeleine Peyroux, which is absolutely fabulous, and I’m going to go listen to it as soon as I get done writing this.

3. Books/Songs That Mean a Lot to Me.
It’s funny, the book that means the most to me is regarded ordinary in India (I have the inside information from Nishant’s family) and is virtually unknown in the US of A except for those really in tune with their world as a whole (not as in their world America). So to have read “The God of Small Things” here (and enjoyed it), you would have to be someone who understood cultures of other countries and not have been afraid of them, and to have read it in India it seems you agree with a political view and not an idea. To me “The God of Small Things” by Arundhati Roy touches me someplace I never knew I had. Americans (generally speaking) do not care about a complete stranger on the street, or the way the dew falls on a spider’s web, or understand how tradition sometimes is more important than a cause, or how sometimes you have to be hard in life so that you can be soft when it counts. I, as an American, was taught to run from the strangers, to tear down the spider’s web, to laugh at my mother, and to be completely independent and cut off from everyone but myself. Only now in my early twenties have I realized that I have the freedom to make my own choices no matter how hard they are, that it is my choice in the end and no one can tell me differently. That is why I love this book. I think though in India, Arundhati Roy is regarded as about as highly as Newt Gingrich is regarded here. I’m not sure, I’d like to find out though…
Other books, “The Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand, "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck, and maybe “To Dance with Kings” by someone who I forget at the moment… I just remember the vivid storytelling of it.

Music... well... I can’t say there is any one particular song. Lots of music has influenced me and changed me, but I could not pin it on one particular song that means more to me than others. My favorite song though is Etta James “At Last”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home