My Photo
Name:Anju
Location:Purdue, University, United States

I have a need for coffee with my oxygen.

Monday, March 14, 2005

So today I decided I needed a book.
I don't know how long it's been since I picked up a book and read it. It has be this summer (and no counting re-reading the harry potter books) since I read a real one.
So I go to the library, I find Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and pick it up. I decided to peep into the movie section to see if there were any movies I'd like to see.
That's when I saw Jurassic Park.
Jurassic Park! Brilliant! I just had seen "real" dinosaurs at the museum.

So I go to check out.
The lady says, "I'm sorry your card is blocked."
Me: "Blocked? How can a card be blocked?"
Lady: "Well usually it means someone didn't pay their late fee... Oh! yes, look, you owe us 2 dollars for Guys and Dolls being turned in two days late."
Me: (Thinking this woman looks like Aunt Bee on drugs) "So I owe you two dollars and I'll be 'unblocked'?"
Lady: Why yes! *withering smile*
Me: (Pulling up my purse only to realize for the past 3 months I'd been living in a plastic world with no change let alone two dollars) "You don't happen to take plastic cards do you?
Lady: "Credit cards are really bad, they get people into a lot of debt, I shouldn't think a young girl like you should have a credit card."(lady probably has no concept of a debit card)
Me: (taking that as a no) "Checks?"
Lady: "We use to, but then we had too many bad ones come back to us." (gives me another contemptuous smile)
Me: (realizing that this town doesn't even have a movie theater much less an ATM) Well, then I'll have to come back tomorrow to get the movie.
Lady: Well! Then I'll see you tomorrow!
Me: *grumble grumble*

How did such a small town girl become such a big city girl?
I’ll never know.

In other news, I think Nishant may have found the apartment of our dreams… He called me to have me look at it online, it’s amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home