My Photo
Name:Anju
Location:Purdue, University, United States

I have a need for coffee with my oxygen.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Picture from Akshay.
How can anyone not like India?
This summer I spent my time immersed in books and blogs. The one thing they all had in common was India. I read Rushdie, Roy, Theroux, Lahiri, and Ondaatje. Then I picked up blogs, I went to blog after blog after blog looking for people who talked about their life in India. I still have this urge to learn about India. Sadly, it slows down once school starts and I am reduced to just blogs and an occasional book.

Today at work my co-worker said something along the lines of "Oh, thank god I don't live near the Indian Ocean and I live on land no where near an ocean." I just stared at her for a brief second, amazed at her. We don't live near an ocean? Does she think that if North Carolina was wiped out of existence she wouldn't be affected? Does she think that she wouldn't get angry that this was happening to her country? I don't understand people sometimes. She watched me go through page after page in the BBC news looking at picture after picture, and then she said that. How long do American's think they have before they are affected by life? Have you forgotten about 9/11? Pain and suffering are coming. Things like this don't just happen to people different than you. America, do you think that if you pray to a different God, and wear different clothes, and have a different skin tone that you are more prone to have disaster and devastation? Life will hit you at some point. Maybe at 80 maybe at 10. Something will happen to you that will make you realize that life happens and you cannot stop it. I realize this is a rant and I could be wrong, but this is my blog and my belief, this is how I feel.
I think Roy (I know some have strong opinions opposite of her) said it best, in Come September,
"The time has come, the Walrus said. Perhaps things will get worse and then better. Perhaps there's a small god up in heaven readying herself for us. Another world is not only possible, she's on her way. Maybe many of us won't be here to greet her, but on a quiet day, if I listen very carefully, I can hear her breathing."

1 Comments:

Blogger Beauvivante said...

I understand your facination with India. I kinda feel the same way about Japan. Always looking up things with Japan-related subjects. Then giving up after a while (because of school or whatever) then picking it back up. Its shitty that Bush has wasted so much of our contry's money and all our troops are in Iraq when all that could be used to help the People in India and Thailand. i do know that he has put together some little thing to help the Tsunami victims, but I haven't heard much about it. One of the Christmas gifts I got was , the daily show with Jon Stewart presents: America (the book). It is worth reading if you ever get a chance to look at it.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home