My Photo
Name:Anju
Location:Purdue, University, United States

I have a need for coffee with my oxygen.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Challenged = Deficient or lacking

Evolution = A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form.

Evolution-challenged = Deficient or lacking in the gradual process in which you become a different and usually a more complex or better form.

Nishant and I have a saying when we see someone who “fits” a typical stereotype, “Oh look hunny, Another cookie cutter.”
The cookie cutter comment is about picking up a magazine and then doing everything you can to look and talk and be EXACTALLY like the picture. Some people model their whole lives after an Abercrombie and Fitch magazine, don’t believe me, just e-mail me and I’ll tell you a little story.
Sometimes I go to class and I see people in class who look like they should be standing under a lamp at the side of a street “hooking up” and not trying to study Chemistry. How these people live with themselves is beyond me… but they nicely fit the “cookie cutter” shape and model so they are accepted by society.
I don’t want you to think I am a rebel. I also know that those who die their hair black and wear Manson shirt are also cookie cutters of a different sort. They all fit a pattern.
What I wish for the world is honesty. Honest to yourself and what makes you happy and honest to others on who you really are, and then be proud of that. Honesty is so important in boy/girl relationships, anyone who has had a long boy/girl relationship knows this. But what about friend relationships, and family relationships, and professional relationships, does honesty count in those?
I think people should be as honest as possible for any relationship they are in.


Movie of the day: The Labyrinth
- Kris is right this is an excellent movie, and David Bowie being one of the few in this world happy in a boy/boy or a girl/boy relationship. Definitely not a cookie cutter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nishant said...

I think it's important to define honesty first. Take this situation -

Girl: Well, I just don't tell him about it... he doesn't take it well. And it's not like I'm cheating on him or anything, so what's the big deal.

Guy-friend: He doesn't take what well? That you are a very social person, and only like to look at the bright side of things, and ignore the rest of reality of a situation, aka you live in denial, and a result of this, it's socially acceptable for you to tease men, lead them on, and gain attention from virtually every guy you know? Heck, all of your "platonic" relationships are based on how much attention the guy is giving you. You actually just admitted that you're attracted to a guy from work. So here you are, living your alternate life, and justifying it with the notion of "long-distance." No offense meant, but how would you feel with the situations reversed?

Girl: I wouldn't quite put it like that. My guy friends aren't just people who give me attention. They are not friends with me because they are interested in only one thing. I'd like to think that they like me as a person, and like what I have to say.

Guy-Friend: Can you give me an example?

Girl: I need to get going. I'm going with Guy1, Guy2, Guy3, Guy4, Girl1, Guy5, and Guy6 and his buddies to the bars.

I can't count the number of relationships that I've seen like the above one. I think honesty means to confront each and every problem one faces in a relationship. Denial is the bane of honesty, and we all succumb too often to the false security it provides. We do it (I think) because we are threatened. I think the best way to combat it is to drop your weapons, and stop playing the game.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Nishant said...

ps... no, I am not mad at you, silly. You know who I was talking about, don't you?

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on 10 10 long distance service
10 10 long distance service

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home